Planet Fitness Says Don’t Sweat The Swimsuit
PLANET FITNESS SAYS DON’T SWEAT THE SWIMSUIT
National Survey Shows Some Americans Would Rather Go to the Dentist than Slip on a Swimsuit
NEWINGTON, NH (June 23, 2016) – With the first official week of summer underway, and with bathing suit season in full swing, a new survey by Planet Fitness shows that showing some skin is a source of some major summer stress. According to the independent survey, one-third (33%) of Americans would rather go to the dentist than wear a bathing suit this summer.
The surveyed showed that “beachtimidation” is just as real as “gymtimidation,” with nearly half (46%) of respondents claiming they do not feel confident about their body in a bathing suit. However, others are likely not being nearly as judgemental about how you look at the beach or the pool as you are of yourself, as 76% of people admit they are more critical of their own appearance in a bathing suit than that of others.
Planet Fitness, the home of the Judgement Free Zone® and one of the largest and fastest-growing franchisors and operators of fitness centers in the U.S., wants to remind people not to sweat the swimsuit this summer. According to Brian Zehetner, Planet Fitness’ Director of Health & Fitness and co-author of the book Working Out Sucks (And Why It Doesn’t Have To), “People are often too hard on themselves when it comes to their body image, and it’s especially difficult for many during the summer and bathing suit season.”
To help decrease the summer stress, Zehetner has compiled a few tips to help people feel more cool and confident:
1. Take the first step! You don’t have to commit to an intense workout regimen to start feeling better about yourself this summer. Focus on realistic, attainable goals such as going for a walk on your lunch break or hitting the gym a few days a week. Even the smallest steps can make a big impact.
2. Track less. If you’re going to take advantage of technology like fitness apps or wearable devices, know that the numbers are only guidelines. If you don’t always meet your goals make sure to stay positive, and don’t let one bad day get you down.
3. Good vibes only. By surrounding yourself with positive and encouraging people, you can motivate each other and work together to achieve your goals this summer – whether it’s accomplishing your first 5K or stepping on the treadmill for the first time.
4. Drink up. Stay hydrated during the summer and drink a lot of water, you'll definitely feel better during the hottest days.
5. It’s okay to treat yourself. If you scream for ice cream this summer, there’s no need to deny yourself because you're feeling self-conscious over your swimsuit shape. It’s realistic and okay to enjoy a summer treat in moderation. And since summer is prime season for so many delicious fruits and veggies, enjoy those too for a healthy balance.
About Planet Fitness
Founded in 1992 in Dover, N.H., Planet Fitness (NYSE: PLNT) is one of the largest and fastest-growing franchisors and operators of fitness centers in the United States by number of members and locations. With more than 1,100 locations in 47 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada and the Dominican Republic, Planet Fitness’ mission is to enhance people’s lives by providing a high-quality fitness experience in a welcoming, non-intimidating environment, which we call the Judgement Free Zone®. More than 90% of Planet Fitness stores are owned and operated by independent business men and women.
This survey was conducted online June 8 through June 10, 2016 among a representative sample of 1,000 adult Americans by Toluna, an independent research provider, under the guidance of RF|Binder’s research team. The results were weighted according to US Census Bureau statistics to accurately reflect the gender, age, region, ethnicity, and income of the US general population.
Vice President of PR & Communications