“STRONG” IS THE NEW “SKINNY”: PLANET FITNESS CELEBRATES MOM THIS MOTHER’S DAY (BECAUSE SHE’S TOO BUSY PUTTING EVERYONE ELSE BEFORE HERSELF)
A New Study Commissioned by Planet Fitness Sees Moms Open Up About Their Lives, Their Kids and Their
HAMPTON, N.H. (May 9, 2018) – This Mother’s Day, Planet Fitness, Inc., one of the largest and fastest-growing franchisors and operators of fitness centers in the U.S., encourages everyone to recognize mom for all she does – which, as research found, is typically done for everyone but herself. Based on the results of a national study* commissioned by Planet Fitness, known as the Judgement Free Zone®, 74 percent of the population agrees that their mom is the strongest person they know. In fact, moms themselves overwhelmingly agree they would rather be strong than skinny (76 percent versus 24 percent), with the majority (79 percent) feeling even stronger after having kids.
And while strength is at the core of all that mom does for herself and others, the study also uncovered the rise of a new body type worthy of praise and celebration: the ‘mom bod.’
The days are over when women should feel pressured to fit into a certain body image to feel accepted; nearly three in five (59 percent) Americans believe that women with ‘mom bods’ are comfortable in their own skin, confident (36 percent) and strong (31 percent). Despite these positive sentiments, women are seemingly still quicker to accept and embrace the physical traits of others first. In fact, nearly all (92 percent) admit they think women are generally more accepting of their husbands’ physiques than their own.
“Last year, our research findings helped the ‘dad bod’ make a pop culture comeback in a massive way, with the overwhelming majority of men and women both accepting and celebrating this body type. But those findings made us wonder whether the sentiment would remain the same across the aisle,” said Jamie Medeiros, Vice President of Marketing at Planet Fitness. “This year’s survey clearly shows that the ‘mom bod’ is not only on the rise, but worthy of a confidence boost; it’s a body type characterized by many of the same positive traits as the ‘dad bod’ and certainly one that women – and their partners and families – should feel proud of. As home of the Judgement Free Zone, we’re here to cheer mom on day-in and day-out, even if she just needs a little sanctuary from the marathon of her parental duties.”
The study also uncovered how moms see their daily routines as workouts, as well as ways in which they’d spend a few moments of “me” time when given the chance. Additional findings include:
- Life is Your Gym. 69 percent of moms feel like they exercise before even stepping into the gym. In fact, in a single week, moms on average estimate they lift their children 46 times, take 29 trips up and down the stairs and pick up toys 33 times!
- There When I Need It. With all this activity and parental responsibility, when she does escape for a little bit of “me” time to sweat it out, 74 percent of gym-going moms dub the gym their “sanctuary.”
- No ‘Me’ in ‘Mom.’ 73 percent of moms don’t put enough “me” time on their to-do lists. To make alone time a reality for just one night, half admit they would do something frustrating or give up something of value, like standing in line at the DMV (48 percent), giving up sex for a month (39 percent) or running into an ex (26 percent).
- All by Myself. How would mom spend that extra evening of “me” time? She would prioritize watching TV (41 percent), doing something special with her significant other (37 percent), shopping (35 percent), catching up with friends (32 percent) or curling up with a good book (29 percent).
When mom is ready to find her sanctuary, Planet Fitness offers extremely low prices and a variety of benefits, including free small group fitness instruction included in every membership via the [email protected] program, a hassle-free environment, brand name cardio and strength equipment, fully equipped locker rooms, flat screen televisions and much more. The Planet Fitness Black Card®** membership for $21.99 a month includes additional perks such as access to over 1,500 clubs in all 50 states at no additional charge, the ability to bring a guest anytime, and additional amenities like unlimited use of massage chairs, HydroMassage® beds, and more.
Planet Fitness also provides members with an opportunity to connect and support each other with “Planet of Triumphs,” an online community that celebrates all accomplishments and inspirational stories of Planet Fitness members. Planet of Triumphs provides an online platform for members to recognize their triumphs (big or small), share their stories and encourage others, reinforcing the Company’s belief that ‘everyone belongs’. Check out real Planet Fitness member stories and accomplishments at PlanetofTriumphs.com.
For more information on Planet Fitness and to find a club near you visit www.PlanetFitness.com.
* Online survey conducted by Kelton Global to 2,004 nationally representative Americans ages 18 and over, with a margin of error of +/- 2.2 percent.
**Black Card membership fees vary by location.
About Planet Fitness
Founded in 1992 in Dover, N.H., Planet Fitness is one of the largest and fastest-growing franchisors and operators of fitness centers in the United States by number of members and locations. As of March 31, 2018, Planet Fitness had approximately 11.8 million members and more than 1,565 stores in 50 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico, Canada, the Dominican Republic and Panama. The Company's mission is to enhance people's lives by providing a high-quality fitness experience in a welcoming, non-intimidating environment, which we call the Judgement Free Zone®. More than 95% of Planet Fitness stores are owned and operated by independent business men and women.
Vice President of PR & Communications
ICR Public Relations
Senior Vice President