Who We Are:
Planet Fitness is a health and fitness facility by trade, but a judgement free zone® by character. The following is our corporate policy regarding the accommodation of our members in terms of their gender identity.
Self-Reported Gender Identity: a person’s sincerely held gender-related identity, appearance, or behavior, whether or not that gender-related identity, appearance or behavior is different from that traditionally associated with the person’s physiology or assigned sex at birth.
Transgender: an umbrella term that refers to any person whose gender identity as male or female is different than the gender identity typically associated with the person’s assigned sex at birth.
Transgender Man: a person whose gender identity is male but who was assigned female at birth.
Transgender Woman: a person whose gender identity is female but who was assigned male at birth.
Gender Transition: the process by which some transgender persons go from living in their assigned birth sex to living consistent with their gender identity.
1. Planet Fitness does not tolerate verbal or physical harassment of any member for any reason. If any member experiences harassment, it should be reported by the member to a Planet Fitness staff member as soon as possible. The Planet Fitness staff member must take immediate action to address the situation and to ensure the safety of the member. If a Planet Fitness staff member harassed the member, it must be reported to the appropriate supervisor(s) immediately, and the Planet Fitness supervisor(s) must take immediate action to address the situation and to ensure the safety of the member. Issues not resolved to a member’s satisfaction should be directed to firstname.lastname@example.org.
2. Transgender persons applying for membership will not be turned away or referred to another fitness facility because of their gender identity, transgender status, the length or extent of their gender transition, and/or because they do not appear as a typical male or female.
3. Members will be treated according to their sincerely held, self-reported gender identity. However, a member cannot fraudulently or improperly assert a self-reported gender identity. If a conflict arises regarding a member’s self-reported gender identity, a Planet Fitness staff member who has been trained on Planet Fitness policy and practices with regard to transgender members:
- Should have a conversation with the member in order to determine the member’s gender identity and any other gender-related concerns.
- Should, in rare cases, where fraud or improper purpose is reasonably suspected, request documentation supporting the member’s stated gender identity. This documentation includes, but is not limited to, a letter from a medical provider, therapist, social worker, member of the clergy, family member, friend, etc. If this additional documentation is requested, that request must be reported by the Planet Fitness staff member to the Planet Fitness Legal Department.
- NOTE: documentation of gender identity for members is not expected or required in the majority of cases – it is only necessary when a Planet Fitness staff member reasonably suspects fraud or other improper purpose.
4. Private information such as a person’s status as transgender, their gender transition, and any medical information must be treated as confidential.
5. Subject to Section Three above, all members, including transgender members, may use Planet Fitness locker room facilities and programs based on their self-reported gender identity; these facilities include bathrooms, showers, and all other facilities separated by sex. Wherever possible, Planet Fitness clubs should maintain private changing areas in each locker room for the comfort of all members. Where applicable, unisex bathrooms can also be made available as needed for the privacy and comfort of members. Some members may feel uncomfortable with a transgender member using the same locker room facilities, bathrooms, showers, or other facilities/programs separated by sex. This discomfort is not a reason to deny access to the transgender member. Planet Fitness staff should work with members and employees to address this discomfort and to foster a climate of understanding consistent with the judgement free character of Planet Fitness.
6. Planet Fitness staff should address transgender members with names, titles, pronouns, and other terms consistent with their self-reported gender identity if reasonably known to the Planet Fitness staff. For example:
- A transgender woman will be referred to by her preferred name and female pronouns.
- A transgender man will be referred to by his preferred name and male pronouns.
7. The resolution of any conflict or question arising under this policy is at the sole discretion of Planet Fitness staff. Planet Fitness reserves the right to terminate a person’s membership immediately for any violation of this policy or a club rule.
Version 1.2 May 2014